Understanding the UAE Labour Card:
The UAE labour card is like a special ID for employees, and it’s super important according to the UAE Labor Law. It’s given out by the place where you work or the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE). This card has all your important details, like your name, where you work, who your employer is, when the card expires, and more.
The labour card acts as a critical link between the worker and employer, facilitating seamless communication and adherence to regulatory standards. Its significance extends beyond mere identification, playing a key role in streamlining processes related to employee benefits and payroll management.
As we explore more, this guide will help you understand the many parts of the UAE labour card and how important it is for working in the UAE.
How to Get a Labour Card in UAE?
To obtain a Labour Card in the UAE:
- The labour card serves as a worker’s official identity proof and needs to be registered by the licensed UAE company with the Ministry of Human Resources.
- Employers have a responsibility to issue the labour card to their employees within 60 days of their arrival in the country. Failure to do so can result in fines.
The labour card has details like:
- Your name
- Your job
- Who your employer is
- Where you’re from
- When the card expires
- Your personal ID number
- Your work permit number
- Your labor card number
This card helps with things like getting the right benefits and making sure you get paid correctly.
Eligibility and Criteria for getting UAE Labour Card:
Every individual working in the UAE, regardless of the sector, must possess a labor card. Eligibility criteria include age (18-60), academic qualifications, and a mandatory medical examination. Employers must ensure compliance with MoHRE procedures, provide timely cards, and avoid fines.
Application Process and Documents:
If you want to work in the UAE, there are a few things you need to do, and your future employer will help you with most of them. Here’s how it works:
- Get Permission:
- Your employer needs special permission from the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE). This is called “visa quota approval.” If your job is in a free zone, they need permission before you even arrive in the UAE.
- Job Agreement:
- You and your employer sign a work agreement in both English and Arabic. This is like a promise about your job.
- Entry Visa:
- The ministry gives you a special entry visa. This lets you come into the country for work.
- Health Check:
- You visit a health center for a visa medical test. They make sure you’re healthy for work and give you the right documents. You also need to visit the Emirates ID center.
- Official Stamps:
When you’re applying for your labor card, you’ll need to give them a few more things:
- A photograph
- A copy of your company’s license
- Copies of your passport and entry visa
- A medical certificate
- Three copies of your job contract
- Your academic papers, like a university certificate if your job needs it (for example, if you’re a doctor, engineer, or lawyer).
So, it might sound like a lot, but it’s just the steps to make sure everything is right for you to start your new job in the UAE!
Checking and Downloading Your UAE Labor Card:
If you want to know your UAE labor card number, it’s easy to do. You have two options:
- MoHRE App:
- Use the MoHRE app, which you can get on Android and iOS. Log in with your UAE pass, go to your profile, and there you’ll find all the details about your job, including your labor card. The app even has a digital version of your labor card.
- Tas’heel Service Center:
- Visit any Tas’heel service center in the UAE. These centers are all over the place, and they can tell you everything about your job, including your labor card number and work contract.
The UAE doesn’t give out physical copies of labor cards anymore, but you can still have one for yourself. Here’s how:
- Go to MoHRE Website:
- Visit the MoHRE website.
- Navigate to Services:
- Click on ‘Services’ at the top of the site.
- Select New Enquiry Services:
- From the menu, pick ‘New Enquiry Services.’
- Choose ‘Print Electronic Work Permit’:
- Select ‘Choose A Service’ and then pick ‘Print Electronic Work Permit.’
- Enter Your Labor Card Number:
- Type in your labor card number on the ‘Work Permit No’ tab and hit search.
- Print Your Card:
- Click on ‘Print’ at the top right of the page.
- Download and Print:
- Download your UAE labor card and print it. Now, you have your own physical copy.
It’s a good idea to have a physical copy, but if you prefer, the app’s digital version works just as well!
Modify and renew the existing labour card
If you need to change something on your labor card, it’s possible with the right documents. Here’s how:
- Visit a Tas’heel center.
- Some changes might need approval from important people, but the staff will guide you through it.
- Keep everything legit with the necessary paperwork.
When your labor card is about to expire, make sure to renew it within 50 days. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to any Tas’heel center.
- You can check the status of your renewal online using your IN number.
- Keep things updated to avoid any issues!
Remember, keeping your labor card in good shape is essential for a smooth work experience!
Documents required for the modification and renewal of the existing labour card
- Passport size photo with a white background
- Valid copy of passport
- Valid trade license
- The new and old contract
- Academic certificate approved by the competent authorities according to the Ministry’s procedure.
- Approval letter from accomplished authorities
In case of modifying the employee’s profession to work as a doctor, pharmacist, nurse or any other technician involved in medical professions, a letter of approval from the Ministry of Health or medical authorities shall be attached
In case of modifying the employee’s profession to work as a teacher in private schools, a letter of approval issued from the Ministry of Education shall be attached
In case of modifying the employee’s profession to work as a trainer, a training certificate approved by the General Authority of Youth and Sports shall be attached
In case of modifying the employee’s profession to work in nurseries, a letter of approval by the Ministry of Social Affairs shall be attached.
Lost or damaged your labour card
Fill up the application form for a lost/damaged labour card, and submit to Ministry of Labour office. All the employer’s establishments should have been unified as per the ministry’s procedures.
A lost item certificate from the police should be provided for a lost labour card.
Documents required for lost and damaged labour cards
- Passport copy
- Passport size photo with a white background
- Original labour card which is damaged (If the labour card was damaged)
- Police certificate that is certified by the labour inspection department at Ministry of labour (If the labour card was lost)
Labour card processing time
In most cases the processing time is 10 days.
A Labor card which is also known as a work permit is the identity proof of the workers in the UAE with the details of the employee’s name and his profession, employer name, nationality, expiry date, personal number, work permit number, and labour card number.
Emirates ID is an identity card issued by Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship. It is a legal requirement for all UAE citizens and residents to apply for one and carry it with them at all times.
Keep yourself in the loop about the latest changes in work rules in the UAE for 2023. This includes things like having fixed-term contracts, knowing how much notice you need to give or get when leaving a job, and understanding why fixed-term contracts might end. Make sure you follow these rules, especially when it comes to things like equal pay and how many hours you work.
Even though dealing with the UAE labor card might seem like a lot of paperwork at first, it’s not too tricky when you know the details. Employers do the main work for the application, but you can help by getting your paperwork ready. Once everything’s in order, the labour card makes sure your pay is correct and you get all the benefits you should. It’s like the glue that holds everything together for a smooth work experience in the UAE!
Tourist Visa Extension in Dubai: Tourist visa extension in Dubai has become simpler thanks to the UAE government's online services. Here's what you need to know about Tourist Visa Extension in...
Consequences of Failing to Repay a Loan in the UAE When you borrow money in the UAE and can't pay it back, things can get serious. From legal issues to financial penalties, there are important...