A probation period is when your employer scrutinises your on the job performance. Usually, this period is in between 3-6 months. But this might be extended if the employer is not satisfied with your performance. During the probation period you may be terminated from employment usually with a day’s notice. The labour law of UAE has a provision for employers to assess your performance and judge whether it is upto the standards expected. Once you are confirmed in the employment, your employment is secured according to the Federal laws of the UAE and then you can only be terminated upon the expiry of your contract.
Below are few things you need to know about probation period:
- You can not be placed under probation more than once by the same employer.
- Your employer can terminate your services at any time during the probationary period without notice or severance pay.
- The probationary period is included in calculating your service years for purposes of gratuity and other pay calculations.
- You are not legally entitled to any paid sick leaves during the probationary period.
- You are likely to incur a labour ban if you terminate your employment during this period.