Know Your Rights In UAE : Reporting 7 Unfair Work Practices

Reporting Unfair Work Practices : Your Rights in UAE and How to Seek Help

Are you working in the UAE? It’s important to know your rights at workOpens in a new tab..

The Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization (MOHRE) of the UAE has issued a warning to employees in the country outlining seven procedures that are against the law and should be reported right away.

Employees rights

7 Unfair Work Practices to be Reported to the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization MOHRE

The following seven behaviors should be reported to the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization by employees in the UAE:

  1. Holding Identification Documents:
    • It’s against the law for employers to keep your passport without your permission. They should only have it when they’re dealing with official matters, like visas. After they’re done, they must return it to you.
  2. Paying Visa Costs:
    • Employers are responsible for paying for visa sponsorship in accordance with Federal Decree Law No. 33 of 2021, the UAE Labour Law. Employers must pay for your visa expenses; they can’t take money from your salary for this. The law is clear that employers can’t charge workers any fees related to recruitment.
  3. Job Contracts:
    • When you’re offered a job, you and your employer must both sign a document that explains the terms of your work. This document is like a promise between both of you. Employers can’t change it without your agreement, and it should follow the law. These agreements require the signatures of both parties, the employer and the employee. The offer letter’s conditions must also be disclosed by the company to MOHRE. The employment contract given to a new hire should be based on the offer letter, which should be signed by the employer and employee, and which is kept in the Ministry’s database.
  4. Keeping Copies of Offers:
    • Your employer should give you a copy of the job offer that you can keep.
  5. Getting Paid Correctly and On Time:
    • Employers must pay your salary on time. If they don’t, you have the right to report it. Also, if they don’t pay you for extra work or they take money from your salary unfairly, you can complain about that too. You can notify MOHRE of the following four salary violations:
      • Salary payments that are 15 days or more late
      • Paychecks that have been overdue for a month or two
      • Not being paid for overtime
      • Unlawful wage deductions
  6. Assigned Work:
    • Your employer can’t make you do a different job than what was agreed upon, unless there’s a very good reason. It’s only temporary and for safety.
  7. Leaving Your Job:
    • If you want to quit your job, you should tell your employer in advance. But if you’re having trouble leaving even though you want to, you can ask for help from the Ministry.

Also Read:

How to contact MOHRE for the Unfair Work Practices?

You can contact MOHRE using the following methods to file a complaint:

  • Call their 24/7 center: 600 590000
  • If you’re calling from outside the UAE: 00971-68027666
  • Use WhatsApp: 971600590000
  • Visit their website and chat online: in a new tab.
  • Send an email: [email protected]

Remember, the UAE has rules to protect workers, and if you face unfair treatment, you can reach out to the Ministry for support.

Frequently Asked Questions FAQS on Unfair Work Practices

What should I do if my employer keeps my identification documents?

If your employer is holding your identification documents against your will, it’s important to know that this is against the law in the UAE. If you’re facing this issue, you can reach out to the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MOHRE) for assistance.

My employer is deducting visa costs from my salary. Is this legal?

No, it’s not legal for your employer to deduct visa fees or any other charges from your salary in the UAE. As per the UAE Labor Law, employers are responsible for bearing the cost of visa sponsorship.

Can my employer change my job responsibilities without my agreement? 

Generally, your employer cannot assign you tasks different from what’s agreed upon in your employment contract. There are certain conditions where temporary changes might be allowed, but these are specific cases.

What if I’m not receiving my full wages on time?

If your employer isn’t paying your wages on time or if you’re facing issues with overtime pay or illegal deductions, you can report this to MOHRE.

Can I leave my job if I’m facing issues?

If you want to resign from your job, it’s important to follow the proper procedures, such as providing notice to your employer. However, if you’re unable to leave your job despite your desire to quit, you can contact MOHRE for assistance and guidance.

0 0 votes
Article Rating


Human Resource professional and writer.

Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Recent Posts

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x