There are millions of passengers fly through the UAE’s airport. If the passenger has connecting flights that have a waiting period of anywhere more than 8 hours then you need a transit visa. However, an applicant who has a transit visa has to leave the country within the time limit of the visa issued.
If you are traveling through UAE-based airlines, you can request the airlines to arrange the transit visa and if your trip is through a travel agency then you can request a travel agency to arrange for you the transit visa but all visas are routed through the airline.
Airline agents can apply online for transit visas through one of the following means:
- the eChannels portal
- the ICA UAE eChannels app for Apple and Android
- online channels offered by the relevant General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) in each emirate.
Now, you may have the below questions in your mind:
- Do I need a visa to transit through UAE
- How long does Dubai transit visa take?
- Is UAE allowing transit passengers?
- What is the price of Dubai transit visa?
The UAE issues two types of transit visas:
- 48 hours transit visa
- 96 hours transit visa.
1. Transit visas for 48 hours
Transit visas for 48 hours are issued to passenger transiting through the UAE’s airport and are free of charge. This visa needs to be applied in advance through UAE based airline and the visa is not extendable, nor renewable. The validity of the visa is 48 hours from entry into the UAE, and you must leave the UAE within 48 hours from arrival.
2. Transit visas for 96 hours
This type of visa needs to be applied in advance through a UAE-based airline. This visa is not extendable, nor renewable. The validity of the visa is 96 hours from entry into the UAE, and you must leave the UAE within 96 hours from arrival.
Transit visas for 96 hours are issued against a fee of Dh50 to passengers transiting through the UAE’s airports.
To get a transit visa, you must have:
- a passport or travel document with a minimum validity of three months
- a photo of self against a white background
- an onward ticket booking to a 3rd destination, other than the one you are coming from.
Transit visa issued at the Immigration:
If you want to get the transit visa issued at the immigration counter, you must present the
- Original passport with a minimum validity of three months
- A photo of self against a white background
- Flight ticket showing the continuation of your journey where the connecting flight should not be less than eight hours after you land in the UAE and not exceeding 96 hours and the destination of arrival and departure are not similar.
- Valid hotel reservation in UAE
Who needs a transit visa?
If you are not one of the nationalities that are eligible for visa on arrival or a visa-free entry to the UAE, then you need a transit visa.
Citizen of Gulf Cooperation Council GCC countries do not require a visa or permit or to be sponsored by a national or resident in the UAE
They need to produce their GCC country passport or national ID card at the point of every entry
Visa on Arrival: 2 Type of visa on arrival:
- 30 days visa on arrival
- 90 days visa on arrival.
The list of countries eligible for visas on arrival may vary from time to time. I suggest you to check with your respective embassy in your country before you travel.
30 days visa on arrival:
Citizens of the these countries do not need advance visa arrangement they can get visa on arrival for 30 days with a 10 day grace period of extension. Passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of entry to the UAE
- Andora Australia
- HongKong, China
- Malaysia Brunei
- Mauritius Monaco
- San Marino
- United Kingdom and South Ireland
- United State of America
- Vatican City
90 days visa on arrival
The below-mentioned countries citizens can obtain visa arrival for 90 days and do not require advance visa arrangements to enter UAE
- Andora Australia
- Bahamas Island
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- El Salvador
- Hongkong, China
- New Zealand
- Russian Federation
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- San Marino
- South Korea
- Solomon Islands
Transit Visa for Indians
Indian citizens holding a normal passport can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 14 days provided they have either:
- a visa issued by the USA
- a green card issued by the USA
- a residence visa issued by the UK
- a residence visa issued by the EU
The visa or green card is valid for at least six months from the date of arrival into the UAE
If you hold a Mexican passport you may obtain 180 days visit visa valid for six months from the date of issue and for a stay of 180 days in total.
To apply for a transit visa, follow these steps:
- Visiting the airline company.
- Submit a request to issue a 96-hour entry permit with the airline’s service officer.
- If the request is approved, you will receive an approval of the request.
- Approach the passport officer at the immigration counter and complete the procedure.
You are requested to follow the COVID 19 regulation to meed the requirements of your final destination.
Passports must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry into the UAE. Lists of countries eligible for visa on arrival may vary from time to time; therefore, please check with the UAE embassy in your country before travelling to the UAE.
Loyalty Cards in Dubai In today's fast-paced world, who doesn't love a good deal? Saving money while shopping or dining out is a universal joy, and one of the best ways to do that is by using...
RTA Nol Card - Complete Guide Whether you are a resident of Dubai or a tourist visiting the city for the first time, public transportation is highly useful to get around the city. Dubai has quite...