Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary
Nestled between the Ras Al Khor road and Oud Metha road is a gem hidden from plain view. For the past 4 years on a daily basis I used to cross this road but seldom did I make an effort to visit this place. And I was surprised to find such a beautiful and calm place right in the middle of Dubai.
Video of Ras Al Khor Wildlife sanctuary:
Yesterday, I made up my mind and planned to visit this place during my free time.
The entrance to the sanctuary itself is modest covered with palm tree leaves on both side of the walk way so as not to disturb the various birds there. When you enter the viewing dock, you will be amazed at how the birds live within a bustling city. My rough estimate is that there are at any time between 2000 to 2500 birds in the Sanctuary. There are 2 batches of birds. One near the main viewing dock and other one on the other side of the sanctuary.
Although the sanctuary houses many species of birds, Flamingos are the main attraction while other birds may not be as visible.
I was told by the security guard stationed there that the Flamingos make their way in the morning from their nests around 8AM and gather around the dock. By around 5:30PM the birds set out to their nests which are built within a jungle (thick plants) right in the centre of the sanctuary.
Being in Dubai or as a tourist also, this is a must visit place for anyone just to witness what Dubai has to offer besides the magnificent buildings.
Time: Daily 7:30AM to 5:30 PM except on Friday. I was also told that during the summer the sanctuary closes at 4PM. If you plan to visit this place beyond March, you must make sure that the entrance is allowed beyond 4PM.
Instructions to visitors:
- Visiting is registered, ID needs to be submitted.
- Individuals, Families are allowed to walk-in.
- Tourist groups, educational institutions, tour operators, media groups need to apply in advance through http://www.dm.gov.ae
For enquiries, you may contact: 04 6066822 or 800-900.
Rules and regulations of the Sanctuary:
- You are prohibited to do the following at the Sanctuary:
- Damaging biological and geomorphological features.
- Using firearms or traps to hunt wildlife and fish.
- Polluting water, soil or air.
- Approaching, disturbing scaring and harming wildlife.
- Collecting or transferring plants or animals as well as introducing toxic or invasive species.
- Entering beyond designated area
- Parking outside designated area
- Generating or using noise producing tools/equipment.
Pictures of Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary
Other bird species living in Ras Al Khor Wildlife sanctuary
So, if you live in Dubai or are visiting Dubai, you must make it a point to visit the Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary and appreciate the efforts of Dubai Municipality in conserving the birds here.
Best Moving Companies in Dubai Moving to a new home or relocating can be a stressful job. But you don't have to worry too much because there are professional movers in Dubai who can help. These...
The Best Grocery Apps in Dubai We all know that feeling when going to the store for groceries feels like a big chore. In today's fast-paced world, going grocery shopping can be a bit of a hassle,...