What is Smart Gates in Dubai and How does it Work?
Smart gates are automated self-service border control systems that use facial recognition technology to identify travelers. At DXB airport, smart gates can be used by three groups of people:
- UAE Nationals and GCC Nationals,
- UAE residents,
- visa-on-arrival guests with biometric passports.
Smart gates work by matching the faces of travelers with data connected to immigration databases, which determines their status as a UAE National, GCC National, UAE resident, or visa-on-arrival guest.
How to use the smart gates at Dubai International airport?
Follow these steps to use Smart Gates At Dubai Airport
- Go to the Smart Gate section at passport control and stand on the designated spot.
- Remove any face coverings like masks, glasses, or hats. Keep your boarding pass and passport handy.
- Look at the green light on top of the camera to verify your biometrics and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once your biometrics are approved, the Smart Gates will open, and you can proceed with the passport control process.
Benefits to using Smart Gates at Dubai International Airport:
- It saves time as the process is quick, taking only seconds.
- It is a self-service system, allowing travelers to go through without assistance.
- It is free to use.
- It provides a sense of convenience and efficiency compared to waiting in queues.
DXB airport has a total of 112 smart gates located in the arrivals and departures areas.
Categories not eligible to use Smart Gates
Certain groups of people are not eligible to use smart gates at DXB airport,
- families with children
- travelers with large strollers
- individuals under 15 years old
- those under 1.2 meters tall,
- people of determination (individuals with disabilities).
However, there are dedicated desks with helpful staff available to assist these travelers with their passport checks.
Registration is not required to use the smart gates at DXB airport. Most travelers who have recently arrived at DXB airport are likely to have been automatically registered for smart gate usage upon entering the immigration touchpoint.
Are you registered to use Smart Gates at Dubai International Airport?
To check eligibility for the Smart Gate service, the General Directorate of Residency and Foreign Affairs (GDRFA) offers a feature on their website. You can visit the GDRFA website and follow the instructions provided to check your eligibility.
If you want to know if you’re registered to use the Smart Gates at Dubai International Airport, you can use the online service called “Inquiry for Smart Gate Registration” provided by GDRFA-Dubai.
Here’s how to check if you’re registered:
- Go to the website gdrfad.gov.ae.
- Look for the service called “Inquiry for Smart Gate Registration” and click on the “Start Service” button.
3. Choose one of the options:
- File Number: You can find this number on your visa sticker or e-visa. Select the file type (resident or permit), the issuing Emirate, and enter the file number.
- UDB Number or Emirates Unified Number.
- Emirates ID number.
- Passport Number: Enter your nationality and passport number.
4. Enter your date of birth and select your gender.
5. Complete the captcha and click on the “Submit” button.
6. GDRFA-Dubai will inform you if your record is registered. If it is, they will say “Record is registered. You can use Smart Gates.
Using the Smart Gates can make your passport control process faster and more convenient.
Which non-residents are eligible to apply for Smart Gates in Dubai?
Non-residents in the UAE who are eligible for a visa on arrival and hold a biometric passport can apply for Smart Gates in Dubai. This technology is also available for UAE Nationals, GCC Nationals, and residents.
The following countries, eligible for a visa on arrival, can benefit from the Smart Gates technology at Dubai International Airport:
For a 30-day visa on arrival:
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- United Kingdom and Northern Ireland
- United States of America
- Vatican City
For a 90-day visa on arrival:
- Bahamas Islands
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- El Salvador
- Russian Federation
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- San Marino
- Solomon Islands
- South Korea
Additionally, Indian nationals can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 14 days if they hold a visit visa issued by the USA, a green card issued by the USA, a residence visa issued by the UK, or a residence visa issued by the EU.
Frequently Asked Questions FAQs on Smart Gate At Dubai International Airport
What are Smart Gates in Dubai?
Smart Gates are automated systems at Dubai airports that use facial recognition technology to quickly process passport control for eligible traveler
How do Smart Gates work at Dubai airports?
Smart Gates use cameras to scan your face and match it with your passport and visa information stored in the immigration database. If the information matches, the gate opens automatically
Who can use Smart Gates in Dubai
UAE nationals, GCC nationals, UAE residents, and visa-on-arrival guests from eligible countries with biometric passports can use Smart Gates.
Are Smart Gates available for non-residents in Dubai?
Yes, non-residents who are eligible for a visa on arrival and have a biometric passport can also use Smart Gates in Dubai.
Can children and families use Smart Gates in Dubai?
Smart Gates are not available for children under 15 years old or individuals under 1.2 meters in height. Families with children will need to use the regular passport control desks.
Can I use Smart Gates if I have a connecting flight in Dubai?
Yes, if you are eligible to use Smart Gates and have a connecting flight in Dubai, you can still use the Smart Gates for passport control.
How can I check my eligibility for Smart Gates in Dubai?
You can check your eligibility for Smart Gates by visiting the website of the General Directorate of Residency and Foreign Affairs (GDRFA) and following the instructions provided.
What should I do if I have any issues or difficulties using Smart Gates in Dubai?
If you encounter any issues or difficulties with the Smart Gates, you can approach the immigration staff or seek assistance from the airport help desk. They will guide you through the process.
Planning Your Dream Dubai Trip from India? Here's Your Essential Dubai Visa Guide Dubai, with its towering skyscrapers, luxurious lifestyle, and vibrant culture, has become a magnet for tourists...
Liquor License in Dubai Interested in obtaining an alcohol license in Dubai? Whether you're a resident or a tourist, understanding the process and regulations is essential. Dubai, known for its...