What Are Air Miles? How to Earn Air Miles?
Air Miles is a loyalty program available in different regions like Canada, the Netherlands, and the Middle East. You earn points when you shop at certain stores, and you can use these points to get free flights with specific airlines.
Air miles are like rewards you get for traveling on airplanes and spending money. There are two types of Air Miles: one is linked to specific airlines, and the other, called Air Miles ME, isn’t tied to any particular airline, so you can use them in different ways.
Air Miles Middle East, a subsidiary of Aimia Inc., which operates the well-known Air Miles loyalty program, was established in 2001. Initially launched in the United Arab Emirates, this innovative loyalty program has since expanded its reach to cover a broader range of countries across the Middle East, making it one of the most prominent rewards programs in the region.
Over the years, Air Miles Middle East has transformed the way people travel, turning it into a more rewarding and cost-effective experience.
If you earn one mile, it doesn’t mean you can travel one mile for free. You need to check how far your miles can take you using the airline’s online calculator.
You must have taken the flight to earn airline miles; just having a booking isn’t enough. However, most programs allow you to claim miles for flights taken up to three months before you joined.
You earn airline miles when you join an airline’s loyalty program, like Emirates or Etihad, and you earn miles for every mile you fly or when you use a credit card connected to that program. You can also earn miles when you spend money at certain restaurants and hotels linked to these loyalty programs.
Air Miles ME, on the other hand, lets you earn miles by spending at specific shops, websites, hotels, and restaurants. Typically, you earn one air mile for every dirham you spend.
You can spend your air miles on various things, including flights, hotels, restaurants, spa vouchers, theme park tickets, and more. The best value for your miles is often upgrading from Economy to Business Class or First Class.
You can still claim your airline reward miles when you book flights through Skyscanner. Just enter your membership number when you book with the airline.
To get started, you can visit the official website and sign up. After registering, you’ll receive a card or tag that you can use to collect Air Miles points.
So, it’s essential to understand how your miles work and get the most value out of them.
This article explores the fascinating world of Air Miles Middle East, benefits, and the role it plays in enhancing the travel experience for millions of customers across the region.
How do I join or register for Air Miles?
Air Miles ME is a rewards program in the UAE, Qatar, and Bahrain, and it’s totally free to join. You earn Air Miles from big partners like HSBC, Sharaf DG, Damas, and Careem. Plus, you can collect Air Miles online when you book with partners like Booking.com, Agoda, and Rental Cars.
You can use your Air Miles for shopping, spa visits, eating out, booking flights, staying in hotels, and lots more. To collect Air Miles, you just show your Air Miles key tag when you shop at our partner stores. They’ll note your card number and give you Air Miles based on how much you spend. If you have an HSBC credit card, you can earn Air Miles with every purchase you make.
Joining Air Miles is a straightforward process that can be done online or through the mobile app:
- Download the Air Miles app or get a key tag from a partner store.
- Register on the website or app.
- Enter your details, including name, email, mobile number, birthdate, and religion.
- Verify your email via a link sent to you.
- If you joined on the website, enter the card number in the app to have your digital membership card.
If your email isn’t recognized, follow these steps:
- Click ‘Log In.’
- Choose ‘Forgot email.’
- Provide your key tag/card number, full name, mobile number, and birthdate for security.
- Your registered email will be provided.
- If the email is outdated, provide a new one, and a validation email will be sent to activate your account.
How do I update my personal details?
To update your details, sign in to your account at www.airmilesme.com, go to ‘My Account,’ and click on ‘Update Details.’
If you have a new Key Tag:
- If you haven’t used it, go to ‘My Account,’ click ‘Add Card,’ and follow the instructions.
- If you’ve used it and want to merge it with your existing account, contact our customer service through the ‘Contact Us’ page.
If you have forgotten your password, Go to www.airmilesme.com, click ‘Log In,’ then ‘Forgotten Password,’ and follow the steps to reset it.
If you can’t access your account or your email isn’t recognized, you may need to reset it using the ‘Forgot Email’ button after clicking ‘Log In.’ Be careful, though, as too many failed attempts will lock you out for 15 minutes.
How Can you save money from Air Miles
Air Miles are a great way to save money on your everyday purchases. You don’t need to buy anything specific to earn them. You can use these earned miles for shopping, dining vouchers, and even get significant discounts on travel tickets, potentially up to 100%. So, if you travel often, getting free air tickets can be a fantastic deal.
To get a free flight ticket, you’ll need a certain amount of miles.
These miles can also be used for flight upgrades, like moving from economy to business or first class. Once you’ve collected enough miles, you can visit the airline’s website and redeem them as per your needs.
Before signing up for a specific miles credit card or Air Miles program, it’s essential to check how many miles are offered. Consider your monthly expenses to estimate how many miles you can earn. This will help you understand the benefits of the miles program for you.
When it comes to Air Miles credit cards with annual fees, not all of them are fee-free. The annual fees for miles cards can vary from Dh0 to Dh4,500.
If you’re a frequent traveler, using a miles credit card can lead to significant savings on your flight tickets and hotel stays. Calculate your travel expenses and see how much you can save with Air Miles. If your travel savings outweigh the annual fee, it’s a profitable choice.
Benefits of Air Miles Middle East
Air Miles is a free loyalty program in the UAE, Qatar, and Bahrain:
- Air Miles Middle East provides significant cost savings for travelers by allowing them to earn miles for their everyday expenses and use those miles to offset travel costs.
- The program partners with a wide array of retailers, airlines, restaurants, and service providers, offering members plenty of opportunities to earn and redeem miles.
- Air Miles Middle East tailors its rewards to suit members’ preferences, whether it’s luxurious travel experiences, leisure activities, or shopping.
- Members gain access to exclusive offers and promotions, allowing them to make the most of their Air Miles.
- The program offers a dedicated customer support team to assist members with any queries or issues they may encounter.
The core principle of the Air Miles Middle East program is quite straightforward: members earn Air Miles for their everyday spending, such as flights, shopping, dining, and more. The more miles you accumulate, the closer you get to redeeming them for a variety of attractive rewards, including free flights, hotel stays, and car rentals. To illustrate how this works, here are some ways to earn Air Miles:
- Air Travel: Members can earn Air Miles for every flight they take with participating airlines, often accruing miles based on the distance traveled and the fare class.
- Shopping: Many retail partners across the Middle East are part of the Air Miles program. By shopping at these outlets, members can earn miles for every dirham spent, adding up to substantial savings over time.
- Dining: Dining at partner restaurants and cafes allows members to earn miles with every meal, making every dining experience a rewarding one.
- Credit Cards: Some credit card providers offer the option to earn Air Miles with every purchase, encouraging members to put their everyday expenses to good use.
- Online Shopping: The Air Miles Middle East website often features special deals, allowing members to earn bonus miles by shopping online with partner merchants.
Earning Air Miles
To start earning Air Miles, you first need to sign up for their program, which you can do on their website or mobile app. They’ll give you a virtual card or a key tag after you provide some basic information like your name, phone number, and email. You’ll also get a confirmation email.
Once you’re registered, you’ll have a card number that you can use on their mobile app to activate your virtual card. The key tag can be picked up from places they partner with.
If you have an HSBC credit card, you’re automatically part of the Air Miles program. Certain HSBC credit cards, like the Black Credit Card, Platinum Credit Card, Advance Credit Card, and Premier Credit Card, allow you to earn up to 2.5 Air Miles for every Dh1 you spend. You can use these cards for things like travel, both within the country and abroad, and online shopping to earn more miles.
Once you’re part of the program, you can earn Air Miles when you shop at places that work with Air Miles. Some of their partners include Damas, Careem, Sharaf DG, and more.
You can collect Air Miles when you shop, use home services, dine at restaurants, have fun, travel, and so on. Each time you buy something with your Air Miles account, you’ll earn Air Miles, but the number you earn depends on what you’re buying.
For example, if you use Careem for rides and pay with your Air Miles card, you get 1 Air Mile for every Dh1 you spend on the ride. And if you use a specific Air Miles credit card like HSBC, you can double those Air Miles.
You can also earn 3 Air Miles for every $1 (which is about Dh3.67) you spend at Booking.com and 1 Air Mile for every Dh1.5 you spend at Sharaf DG Electronics, and so on.
The best way to earn Air Miles is by getting something extra from your regular spending. If you’re a frequent Careem rider or if you regularly visit places they partner with, this program can be quite beneficial for you. Just check if the places you usually go to are part of the Air Miles program, and you can start collecting miles.
You can earn specific airline miles like Etihad Guest miles and Emirates Skywards Miles by using certain bank debit or credit cards.
Emirates and FlyDubai have an agreement where they share flights to offer more options. This also extends to their loyalty programs. So, when you buy a flight ticket with FlyDubai, you can earn Emirates Skywards Miles. If you’re an Emirates Skywards member, you can earn both Skywards Miles and Tier Miles. Tier Miles help you get perks like bonus miles and flight ticket upgrades.
Redeeming Air Miles
To redeem your Air Miles, follow these steps:
- Visit www.airmilesme.com and go to the ‘Redeem Air Miles’ page.
- Explore the options for redeeming e-vouchers or in-store at Air Miles partners, or visit the Air Miles Travel Shop.
- If you need assistance, use the Live Chat function to talk to a customer service representative for guidance.
You can redeem both online and in-store:
- Redeem e-vouchers online and use them in-store once you receive them in your registered email.
- For in-store redemptions, ensure your Air Miles account has a valid mobile number to receive a ‘One-time Password’ (OTP) for validation at the time of redemption.
The number of Air Miles needed for redemption varies:
- Partner e-vouchers, hotels, and car hire: 14,000 Air Miles
- Flights: 30,000 Air Miles per ticket
- Air Miles Monday: 100 Air Miles (available on the mobile app)
Air Miles is fully digital, and you’ll receive e-vouchers via email for instant access to your rewards.
If you haven’t received your e-voucher, check your spam folder, ensure your email address is correct, and contact the call center if needed.
Once your redemption is confirmed, it cannot be canceled.
All rewards are now digitally fulfilled. You can redeem e-vouchers on the website and use them in-store at Air Miles partners. Visit www.airmilesme.com to see your redemption options.
Redeeming Air Miles For Flights
Booking a Flight:
- To get the best flight quote, book in advance, be flexible with dates and times, and consider off-peak periods.
- The minimum Air Miles needed for a flight is 30,000 Air Miles.
- You can book flight rewards online at www.airmilesme.com.
- No time restrictions for using Air Miles for flights; it depends on airline availability.
- You can book flights for someone else or for travel originating outside the UAE, Qatar, or Bahrain.
- One-way and multi-stop flights can be booked.
- Open jaw tickets (return from/to different airports) are possible.
- Cancellations are possible but may incur fees.
- Changes, if permitted, can be made up to 24 hours before departure.
- You can use a combination of Air Miles and money to pay for flights.
- Taxes are included in the flight reward price.
- Tickets are emailed within 24 hours of flight reward confirmation.
- Check your spam folder if you haven’t received your e-ticket.
- If you miss your flight, the ticket becomes forfeited.
- You can request a refund for eligible taxes.
- You may be eligible to earn frequent flyer points; contact the airline for details.
- If Air Miles are refunded, the expiry date remains based on the original earning date.
Redeeming Air Miles For Hotels
- You can pay for your hotel stay using a combination of Air Miles plus money or fully in Air Miles.
- Your booking confirmation will be emailed to you within 24 hours of your hotel reward confirmation.
- If you haven’t received your booking confirmation, check your email’s junk folder or contact a representative via the “Live Support” link on the website.
- Changes or cancellations to hotel bookings can be made based on the hotel’s rules, with applicable charges payable by credit card.
- Hotel reward prices cover the room stay only, and local and government taxes are paid at the hotel during check-out.
Earning Air Miles with Card+Miles Booking
You can earn Air Miles when you use your credit card for bookings.
For hotel, car, and activity bookings, you’ll earn 3 Air Miles for every Dirham spent. For flight bookings, you’ll earn 1 Air Mile for every Dirham spent.
Miles earned from card payments will be credited to your account 60 days after you’ve completed your travel. For flight bookings, both the outbound and inbound parts are counted as one transaction. For other bookings, you’ll receive your Miles 60 days after checking out.
You can make changes based on the airline or hotel terms and conditions. Any fees incurred are payable by a Visa or MasterCard credit card. Miles earned on card payments will be based on the final card payment but won’t include the Air Miles amendment fee.
You can’t use Air Miles for fare differences or additional fees; a valid credit card must be used. Miles earned on card payments won’t cover the Air Miles amendment fee.
Card+Miles can be used for First Class, Business Class, and Economy Class fares.
You’ll only earn Air Miles on the card payments if you complete your travel. Any unexpired Air Miles from cancelled bookings will be refunded to your account after deducting airline, hotel penalties, and Air Miles cancellation fees. Partially used flight tickets or hotel stays are not eligible for refunds.
Top Air Miles Credit Cards in the UAE
Certain credit cards, like Emirates NBD Emirates Skywards and NBAD Etihad Guest Credit Card, can earn you air miles. These cards give you points/miles when you spend money and often offer bonus miles for booking airline tickets.
Many airlines partner with banks to offer credit cards that help you maximize your mileage earnings. In the UAE, several banks provide such credit cards, including Emirates NBD, NBAD, ADIB, ADCB, Citibank, and Emirates Islamic, among others.
Some banks offer cards linked to specific airlines like Etihad Guest or Emirates Skywards. Similarly, some of the best credit cards with air miles in Dubai provide direct benefits with partner airlines.
Here are some top credit cards with air miles in Dubai for you to consider:
- Emirates Citibank Ultima Credit Card: Offers Skyward miles, airport lounge access, complimentary golf course access, and travel insurance.
- Emirates Citibank Ultimate Credit Card: Provides Skyward miles, complimentary golf course access, and Vox cinema discounts.
- Emirates NBD Skywards Infinite Credit Card: Offers Skyward miles, complimentary privileges, and valet parking.
- Emirates Islamic Skywards Infinite Credit Card: Provides Skyward miles, complimentary privileges, valet parking, and travel insurance.
- American Express Platinum Card: Features air miles rewards, free Wi-Fi with Boingo, priority pass, and travel insurance.
- Najm Voyager Platinum Credit Card: Offers air miles rewards, one-for-one deals at Vox Cinemas, and discounts at restaurants.
- Najm Voyager Signature Credit Card: Provides air miles rewards, access to airport lounges, one-for-one deals at Vox Cinemas, and discounts at restaurants.
- ADIB Etihad Guest Gold Credit Card: Offers Etihad Guest Miles.
The best Air Miles credit card for you depends on your needs and preferences. Choose the one that suits you best and offers the privileges you value most.
These cards typically reward you with points or miles when you sign up and spend on the card. Additionally, you may earn bonus miles when you book airline tickets with these cards, accrue miles through regular spending, and receive miles after taking a flight.
Air Miles Middle East has revolutionized travel in the region, offering a unique opportunity for travelers to maximize their spending by earning miles on their everyday purchases. As the program expands and evolves, it is poised to remain a significant player in the world of loyalty rewards in the Middle East, giving travelers more reasons to explore the skies.
Frequently Asked Questions Air Miles on Air Miles
What is Air Miles and how does it work?
Air Miles is a rewards program where you earn points by shopping at partner stores and dining out. You can use these points for discounts, free stuff, and even travel. It’s like getting bonuses for your everyday spending.
Can I transfer Air Miles to a friend or family member?
Usually, you can’t transfer Air Miles to others. But if you live at the same address, you can combine your Air Miles with a family member. In special cases, like in divorce or after someone passes away, it’s possible with the right evidence.
How do I find out how many Air Miles I have?
To check your Air Miles, go to www.airmilesme.com, and your balance is right at the top of the page. You’ll also get a monthly statement that shows your collected Air Miles and where you earned them.
Where can I collect Air Miles?
You can collect Air Miles from our partners listed on www.airmilesme.com. Check the “Collect” page for partner categories. Sometimes, we have special partners for a limited time, so keep an eye on our website for the latest offers. Also, you can earn Air Miles twice by using your HSBC Credit Card and Air Miles card or key tag at our partner stores.
How can I redeem my Air Miles?
To redeem your Air Miles, visit www.airmilesme.com, click on the ‘Redeem Air Miles’ page. You can use e-vouchers online or in-store at Air Miles partners. If you need help, use the Live Chat function to talk to our customer service for guidance.
You can redeem both online and in-store. Online, you use e-vouchers, and in-store, simply use your Air Miles at the partner’s checkout. Make sure your mobile number is registered for in-store redemptions, as we’ll send a verification code during checkout.
Dubai Airport Rules: What Not to Bring for a Smooth Trip Getting ready for a trip through Dubai Airport? Be aware of the Banned items at Dubai Airport .Well, it's important to know the rules to...
Leaving Dubai Guide: Steps for a Stress-Free Transition Leaving Dubai or UAE can be tough, especially when your visa or work contract is ending. It needs careful planning, whether you're leaving...