How to Choose a Business Name in Dubai?
The United Arab Emirates have been attracting investors with their business-friendly policies since long. If you are planning to start a business in Dubai, coming up with the right name for it can be a daunting task. The country has some stipulations regarding the company names. You cannot name your company as you wish, rules and regulations should be followed before selecting a Business Name in UAE.
While you might want to get creative, to ensure that your brand name stands out, it is important to keep in mind that trade names for businesses in Dubai are issued by the Dubai Economy and Tourism (DET), which has strict guidelines that should be adhered to if you want the name to be approved.
If you are in the process of deciding a name for your business in UAE, you will be relieved to know that UAE does not place many restrictions in choosing company name. The rules are pretty straightforward and simple.
Guidelines issued by Dubai Economy and Tourism (DET) on Selecting the right Name for your Business:
If you are in process of selecting the right name for your business, make sure it does not violate any of the following guidelines issued by DET:
- Alphabets and numbers are allowed but you cannot use icons or special characters.
- The trade name can include the partner’s or owner’s first and last name but it shouldn’t be the last name alone.
- A trade name cannot include Allah’s names or his divine attributes. Also, names of countries, regions, areas, sects and organisations that are already registered and known names of brands and establishments are not allowed.
- It is not allowed to reserve a name starting with words like ‘Universal’, ‘Middle East’, ‘International’ and/or translating them into Arabic.
- It is important to note that the trade name database is based on pronunciation, so you should identify similar sounding names in both English and Arabic by searching through the database, to ensure other companies haven’t registered using a similar name.
- Also, remember that your business’s primary activity will be added to the trade name. This is why it is important to ensure that the trade name is not the same as the activity name.
- The trade name should be appropriate, and should not contain obscene words, or have words that offend modesty and violate public decency.
- The name should not include any of the names of countries, capitals or governments, except with the approval of the embassy of the country.
The website of DET also informed entrepreneurs that once you register a trade name, it is reserved for a period of six months. After that, the trade name will be automatically canceled if you do not get a trade licence issued under the reserved name.
DET has the right to cancel or change the trade name if it is similar to an existing trade name or if it does not comply with the established terms and conditions.
If you are still hesitant in choosing the right name for your company, seek consultation from business set up experts who can guide you in reserving company name, name guidelines for company and undertake complete business set up formalities for you.
Consequences of Failing to Repay a Loan in the UAE When you borrow money in the UAE and can't pay it back, things can get serious. From legal issues to financial penalties, there are important...
All About DEWA (Dubai Electricity and Water Authority) DEWA (Dubai Electricity and Water Authority) is a pivotal entity in Dubai's infrastructure, entrusted with the crucial task of providing...