Part time work in UAE as per Labour Law
Table of Contents
- Part time work in UAE as per Labour Law
- Who is eligible for Part Time work permit?
- Do you need NOC from your full time employer?
- How many Part time work permits can I have?
- On who is this law not applicable?
- What documents are required to obtain Part time work permit?
- What is the process to apply for the part time work permit?
- What is the validity of the part time work permit?
- What are the costs of issuing part time work permits?
- Who can make use of the part time work facility?
- Where to find Part Time jobs?
Most of you would like to earn an extra income or a side income and wished that you had a side gig. What many of you do not know is that UAE Labour Law has rules that allow you to work part time and earn extra income. Most of us thought that if you worked for another employer while having your regular job was illegal. But this is not true, MOL (now MOHRE – Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation) has laid out rules that allow you to work part time at another company while you have your regular day job. Needless to say, this part time work should not jeopardise your current full time work.
In the year 2010, MOL released amendment to the UAE Labour Law that has provisions allowing employees to work part time. However, you will need to meet certain conditions.
Who is eligible for Part Time work permit?
Article 3, 4, 5 of the Ministerial Resolution No. (1188) for 2010 mentions following:
Article 3: There are Four categories that are eligible for part time work permit,
- You must be registered and have Labour card / Emirates ID with Ministry of Labour / Ministry of Human Resouces and Emiratisation or respective free zones;
- Persons who meet the conditions to be granted work permits based on the residency of their families;
- Students who are above 18 years of age; (If you have sponsorship from your college / university)
- Government Employees.
Do you need NOC from your full time employer?
Article 4 of the Ministerial Resolution No. (1188) for 2010 mentions following:
As per Article 4, it is up to MOHRE to decide this. Read below.
How many Part time work permits can I have?
Article 5 of the Ministerial Resolution No. (1188) for 2010 mentions following:
On who is this law not applicable?
Not all who have UAE residence visa are eligible for the part time work permit. Following professions and profiles are not eligible to apply for part time work permit:
- Domestic workers / House maids;
- Members of the Armed Forces;
- Police and security forces;
- Workers employed in agricultural establishments;
- Persons above the age of 65 years.
What documents are required to obtain Part time work permit?
Following documents will be required for applying for Part time work permit:
- Passport and Visa Copy;
- One passport size photograph with white background;
- Copy of your Labour Card / Emirtes ID / Labour Contract;
- No Objection Letter from your Employer in Arabic;
- Trade License copies of both your current employer and your part time work employer; (in some cases)
- Labour Establishment card for both companies; (if applicable)
- Passport copy of the Sponsor (for those on husband visa or father visa)
What is the process to apply for the part time work permit?
Once you have all your documents, please scan them and submit them through Tasheel Authorised centre.
What is the validity of the part time work permit?
The part time work permit is valid for 1 year from the date of issue and must be renewed with same documents.
What are the costs of issuing part time work permits?
- Application fees AED 153;
- Part time labour card fees: AED 553.
Who can make use of the part time work facility?
This can be made use by anybody who wishes to make extra income. It is more suitable to those who are freelancers and have specific skills which are in demand. Housewives and students can make use of this to work and earn salary.
Where to find Part Time jobs?
All major jobs sites in UAE post requirement for part time work regularly. Just visit the sites and search for part time work and apply.
However, the best way to get this information is through your network who may be aware of such openings.
I wish you all the best in your new part time job.
Dubai Job Tips and UAE Labour Law!
When you are an Emirates Diary Subscriber, you will get simple and easy to follow Job Tips for Dubai and Learn UAE Labour Law, for FREE!!