How to write a great Resume / CV
While it comes to job application, resume has a significant role to play. Your resume says a lot about you as a potential candidate. So, how do you write the perfect resume?
Read on to know more.
The very thought of writing a resume can intimidate many people. At times we do get confused about what to write and what not to write in a resume. Well, to begin with there are certain skills and qualities that an employer values, viz. communication skills, interpersonal skills, analytical skills, flexibility, motivation and of course self-confidence. Here are a few tips that can help you write a winning resume.
1. Determine your job search ability: Once you have been able to determine your job search objective, it will help you structure the content of your resume. Your objective should be your bull’s eye of focus on your resume. If you write your resume with a clear objective in mind, it is bound to reflect. So take time before you take the plunge.
2. Consider Resume as a Marketing Tool: You need to sell yourself in the world of jobs; your prospective employers are your customers; so advertise your skills as much as you can and do it properly. What makes you unique and a suitable candidate for this position? Convey every detail about yourself through your resume.
3. Be Clear and Concise: Do not write unnecessary details on your resume. Understand that the basic purpose of your resume is to generate enough interest among the employers. Perceive the interview as a more detailed mode of explaining your achievements and accomplishments.
4. Use Bulleted Sentences: Always make use of bullet points while writing a resume. Such a format makes it easier for employers to scan through your resume quickly.
5. Use an Active Voice: Using an active voice can actually help you convince your employers. Using an active voice adds life to your resume.
6. Lead with your Strengths: Understand that resumes are scanned only within 30 seconds, so always make use of bullet points and highlight all your strengths.
7.Play a Match Game: Review what the position is of interest to you; use keywords that match up to your skills in building a resume.
8. Use Buzzwords: If there are certain terms that highlight your competence in a specific field, do use them. Those who are applying for marketing positions do use words and phrases like ‘competitive analysis’ or phrases like ‘reconciled accountants’ while applying for an accounting job.
9. Accentuate the Positive in You: Do away with as much negativities as you can; eradicate absolutely irrelevant points. For example, if you do certain duties in your present job, that do not support your employment objective, do not include them in your resume.
10. Show what you Know: Rather than focusing on only one area to highlight the breadth of your knowledge, use the interview to showcase more detail.
Bonus: Details of Your Education: While you develop this section, list your educational details with the last diploma/degree that you hold. Mention the name of the school and the city; mention your graduating year and the subject in that you’re majored. Alternatively, if you are an experienced candidate with more than 3 years’ of work experience, you can do away with as much details such as course modules pursued in school or college.
A Quick Rewind
- Write about your key responsibility areas and latest job experience
- Highpoint the most pertinent credentials
- State attainments those are relevant and recent
- Encapsulate all your earlier experiences in a concise manner. But make sure you do not eradicate significant points in order to keep you resume short.
- Last but not the least, take time to write your resume; Use phrases that simple and catchy. Your resume should portray you as a competent candidate.
Author Bio: Sampurna Majumder is a professional writer who enjoys creativity and challenges. Barely a year into new media, she has written several posts, articles and blogs for prominent websites like Naukri.com where one can find all kinds of information pertaining to the world of employment. The above post highlights how to write an impressive resume.